We join forces with RIXO for London Fashion Week as the exclusive hair partner behind their SS22 looks.
As London Fashion Week returns to real life programming, we are thrilled to share that we partnered with cult London designer RIXO as official hair sponsors of their SS22 collection. With the help of our Styling Ambassador Leigh Keates fronting our hair squad, we were delighted to be part of their first fashion show in nearly 2 years.
RIXO is a clothing and accessories brand created by best friends Henrietta Rix and Orlagh McCloskey, who share a passion for vintage and empowering women through clothes. Their designs are packed with throwback silhouettes and original prints, designed to flatter every woman, irrespective of age, season, size, nationality or time of day.
RIXO shares similar key values to our brand in inspiring and empowering others, helping to transform shoppers to feel the best version of themselves, which makes our partnership with the brand such an authentic and natural fit.
London Fashion Week 2021
On the day, we were backstage creating all of the wonderful hairstyles for the show with our very own Styling Ambassador Leigh Keates, who as head stylist created all the SS22 looks. Leigh’s talents have made him a firm favourite among his long list of celebrity clients and he has also been part of the John Frieda team for the past 2 years.
The collection itself was a retro take on classic holiday style, taking cues from vintage 1960s looks and iconic tiki influences. To complement the 60s styling, our Creative Stylist Consultant Leigh Keates created a high-octane voluminous blow dry, accessorised with a vibrant silk headscarf – think a modern, wearable take on a vacationing Jackie O. He says, “I had so much fun creating this look. After a year of messy buns and greasy fringes, I’m excited for the return of a proper blow dry. This modern 60s look is part beehive part bouncy wave, and the silk scarf is a great way to inject a bit of personality. I used the John Frieda Volume Lift range to create lightweight body that delivers on volume without feeling rigid or old fashioned.”
For more big hair tips, check out our article on how to add volume to fine hair in four easy steps.
Summer 2022 hair inspiration
From prep to finishing, discover the product secrets and how tos behind John Frieda’s SS22 RIXO look.Here, Leigh shares his step by step guide to recreating the look next summer – whether you’re sipping margaritas by the pool or looking for an effortless summer party look:
1. Build volume from when hair is damp for a longer lasting final look. I used a combination of John Frieda Volume Lift Root Booster Blow Dry Lotion and Volume Lift Thickening Mousse, applied to the mid-lengths and ends – it’s great because it creates serious lift without a sticky or crunchy residue.
2. Use a round brush to blow dry the hairline and crown area, then flip the head upside down to maximise volume – this is the easiest shortcut to instant body, regardless of your hair length or texture.
3. Next, use a medium sized tong to curl neat sections of the hair from root to tip, spray with John Frieda Frizz Ease Moisture Barrier Intense Hold Hairspray and pin in place to cool. Repeat for the entire head, in a ‘brickwork’ pattern starting from your parting.
4. When fully cooled, remove all pins and brush through with a strong brush – this creates a more natural, modern finish. Smooth away any flyaways with a finishing crème – I like John Frieda Frizz Ease Weightless Wonder Smoothing Crème if you have fine textured hair, or else Frizz Ease Secret Agent Touch-up Crème if you have medium or thick hair.
5. Finally, spritz hair again with a strong hold hairspray before fixing your hair scarf or bandana. There is no hard and fast rule on how to position this, it’s all about experimenting to find what works for you – but I like to pull out some face framing strands or fringe to soften the look and keep it modern and effortless. Check out our nine fringe hairstyles for your face shape for more inspiration on rocking this look!
If you’re looking for more expert tips, why not take a look at our balayage Q&A with Luke Hersheson, or our guide to ombré with our colour ambassador, Samantha Hillerby? Our range of articles are full to the brim with styling inspo and amazing product picks that’ll help you take your ‘do to the next level.