Read on for our guide to achieving serious curls - both with and without heat!
From wavy tresses to corkscrew curls, there’s never been a better time to rock a curly head. But how to get curly hair that’s effortlessly tousled as well as defined can be tricky to do, especially if you’re ditching the styling tools and going for a more organic approach.
The trick to getting curly hair is lots of moisture and hydration, along with the right products to defeat frizz and enhance your curls. Read on for our definitive guide to obtaining heatless curls, as well as how to make your hair curly using styling tools.
How to curl hair with a straightener
The trusty hair straightener is a fundamental piece of equipment to have in your arsenal. However, these hot irons aren’t just for keeping your hair flat, and can be one of the best ways to curl straight hair.
Before using styling tools, be sure to apply Heat Defeat Protecting Spray to preserve moisture and protect your hair from heat damage.
1. Clamp your straightener down on a small section near the top of your hair
2. Pull the straightener through as though you were straightening it but stop
3. Turn the straightener 180 degrees away from your face, wrapping your hair
around the clamp and gently pull through
4. Repeat for each section of hair
5. Loosen the curls from the roots using your fingers for an undone,
Now you’ve learnt how to curl hair with a straightener, remember it’s important not to overuse styling tools so you can preserve your hair’s natural curl. If you find your hair has taken a bit of a hit from the heat, find out how to restore your curls here.
How to curl your hair without heat
If you’re looking to enhance your natural curls, or curl straight hair without using heat, there are ways to get heatless curls overnight without using styling tools.
How to make your hair curly naturally
1. Wash your hair as normal with Dream Curls Shampoo and Conditioner
Avoid drying with a towel, which can crush and flatten your curls.
Instead, allow your hair to dry naturally.
2. While your hair is still slightly damp, braid your hair into plaits. If you
have very thick or dry coarse hair, apply a hair oil to provide grip
and prevent frizz. Remember, the tighter the braids the tighter curls –
have a look at how to get beach waves for a boho seaside aesthetic.
3. Leave the braids in to get heatless curls overnight and remove in the
morning. Secure your new curly hairstyle with an intense hold hairspray.
How to make wavy hair curly naturally
If your hair has a wavy texture rather than falling straight, achieving heatless curls is even easier. Here are a few tips on how to make your wavy hair curly naturally:
1. Wavy and curly hair tends to be on the drier side, so it’s important to use
specially designed anti-frizz shampoo and conditioner to enhance your curls.
Wash and condition at least once a week to provide moisture.
2. Add definition to your wavy hair with a curl defining crème. Apply a small
amount and gently comb through with your fingers.
3. Finger-comb a curl-defining foam into your strands to enhance your curl
pattern and tame frizz, before using your hands to scrunch curls into shape.
4. Air dry or diffuse wavy hair to prevent frizz. Smooth any flyaways with
a nourishing hair oil to moisturise and hold your waves.
5. Maintain your curly hairstyle with a frizz-fighting hairspray to protect
against humidity and keep your curls secure.
6. Get regular trims to combat dryness and damage, which can sap the elasticity
of your curls.
If you’re looking to achieve a looser wavy tousled look, read our article on how to get wavy hair overnight.
How to define your curls
If you have naturally curly hair, keeping your locks defined, frizz-free and bouncing can be a real struggle. Here’s how to define your curls and keep your curly hair looking its best.
1. The best way to enhance your curls is by keeping them moisturised.
Shampoo your hair sparingly, and use a deep conditioner at least once
2. Dry your hair gently using a microfiber towel or a soft cotton t-shirt.
Standard cotton towels are too rough and can cause friction and damage
3. Instead of using a hair brush, which can pull on your hair and destroy curls,
use a wide-tooth comb to detangle your locks.
4. Apply curl-defining products while your hair is still wet to lock in the
moisture. Once your hair is dry, avoid touching or messing with your
curls as this can break up the product and ruin your curl pattern.
5. Protect your curls while you sleep by wrapping your hair in a silk or satin
scarf, or sleep on a satin pillowcase to protect against friction.
6. Refresh your curls in the morning using a curl reviver mousse and a
daily crème oil.
Whether wavy or tight, crimped or corkscrew, it’s time to unleash your curls with pride! Follow the steps above to learn how to curl hair with a straightener, or achieve heatless curls overnight. To hydrate your locks to great health, check out the best hair masks for your hair type. Or, for inspiration on how to wear your newly defined curly hairstyle, have a look at our article on easy curly-haired looks you can achieve from home.