Volume, Damage, Frizz, Oily or dry scalp,
From office parties to ringing in the New Year, here are three quick styles that let you achieve all the holiday glam you crave without adding tons of time to your already jam-packed schedule.
One of the easiest ways to get spruced up for a night out on the town is tying your hair back into a simple, soft chignon. Similar to a bun, a chignon is achieved by pinning hair into a knot at the back of the head and is the perfect choice for frizz-prone hair or when you want a break from excessive heat styling. Like a snowflake, no two chignons are the same, so there’s no way to do it wrong. Here are two variations, depending on your hair length.
If you have medium to long hair:
- Part dry hair with a comb any way you desire — down the middle, on the side, in a zigzag, or brush it straight back.
- Pick a side for the chignon to rest, pull hair to that side, and create two ponytails — one in each hand. Tie the two ponytails into a low, loose knot.
- Wrap the remaining hair sticking out of the hair knot and use a hairpin to hold in place. It shouldn’t be perfect, but use more pins for added control if it’s feeling too messy. Keep your chignon in place and potential frizz at bay with a shot of Frizz-Ease® Moisture Barrier Firm-Hold Hair Spray. So elegant!
If you have short to shoulder-length hair:
- Begin by prepping your hair with some curls using a 1 ½" curling iron. To create more body, curl closer to the root. Help maintain the curls and keep frizz away with a shot of Frizz-Ease® Moisture Barrier Firm-Hold Hair Spray. If you have naturally wavy hair you can work with your natural texture and can skip this step.
- Starting in the back, pin curls up near the nape of your neck, then move onto the center of your head – pinning and building upon the curls as you go. Keep the curls low and don’t be afraid if it looks less than perfect. That only adds to the chignon charm!
- To finish, take the hair around your face and either pull it back and pin in place where you like, or leave pieces out and looser for a more natural look.
While it’s difficult to do a ponytail "wrong," there’s certainly a lot you can do to take it to the next level for special occasions. A revved up ponytail works well on hair that struggles to maintain volume and is the perfect day-into-evening solution for all hair types.
Here’s a simple step-by-step guide to achieve this festive style:
- After washing, treat your wet hair with a heat protectant, like Full Repair® Perfect Ends Deep Infusion For Medium-Textured Hair to help protect against breakage from high-heat styling. Then blow-dry hair as usual.
- Once dry, wrap small sections of hair around a 1 ½" curling iron, wrapping strands in alternating directions for natural, loose-looking waves. Let your hair cool, then comb through the waves to loosen them up.
- To achieve added volume, gently backcomb at the crown before securing hair in place with a clear elastic. Then, take a small piece of hair from your ponytail and wrap it around the elastic and secure with a bobby pin. For extra drama, sweep bangs off to the side of your face.
Cooler temperatures can bring on scalp concerns. If that’s something you deal with, a bun is the perfect choice because it looks polished, classic, and festive without requiring a lot of products that can irritate your scalp or weigh hair down.
Here’s how to get the look:
- After washing, revitalize your scalp and boost roots with Root Awakening® Lift + Refresh Root Spray For Oily Scalp & Dry Hair, then blow-dry, taking care to lift at the root for maximum volume.
- Create a dramatic side part and gather your hair over one shoulder, securing it with an elastic tie at the nape of your neck. You should be left with a low side ponytail.
- Then, create a gap in the hair directly above the elastic tie. Take your ponytail and flip it up and through this gap – being careful to pull the hair entirely through.
- Repeat this process one last time, but this time, only pull the hair halfway through. This will create a loose, tousled bun look that you can customize to your liking with use of bobby pins.